Usability Testing sites are often overlooked as an easy way of making extra money. It is possible that many people are not aware that these types of sites exist so hopefully this post will shed some light on this method of making money. Website Usability Testing is the process of testing a website’s usability. Most testing sites pay an average of $10 per test and the process normally does not take longer than 30 minutes. If you are an active usability tester you can easily make a couple of hundred dollars per month if the work is available.
Because competition can be high when opportunities come available, signing up for multiple testing sites is a must if you want to increase you chances of receiving consistent work.
How The Process Works
Although each testing site may have their own specifics guidelines, generally the process for most sites will align with the information below.
1. A sample test will be required - A sample test is used to indicate that you are capable of speaking your thoughts into a microphone. If you do well on your sample test you will receive a rating rating that will determine how often you are selected to complete usability tests.
2. Criteria that testing sites are looking for – Testing sites are not looking for individuals that will simply relay what is already on the sites they are testing. They are looking for information that will help the site owners determine what areas need to be enhanced to improve the user experience of their visitors. When testing a site’s usability the tester should provide the following information:
- Provide information on things that are not clear on the site as well as what attracts their attention.
- Perform the required tasks according to the test scenario.
- Propose information that would help them better perform the required tasks.
- Provide useful comments.
- Speak loudly and clearly on the microphone.
- Answer all questions in writing at the end of the test.
How Much Can You Make As A Tester
If you are able to clearly convey your thoughts into a microphone and provide useful usability remarks, you can do well as a tester. The number of assignments you receive will vary and will be solely based on the number of orders that are available for the testing company you work for. For each test you perform, you get rated by the site’s owner. Your overall rating determines the amount of tests you will be assigned in the future. Most good testers can earn anywhere from $100-$200 per month. You certainly would not want to quit your day job, but you can add a nice supplement to your income as a tester.
How To Get Started
To get started you just register on a site and take a sample test. Once your sample gets rated you will be notified with more information. The time it takes for your sample to get rated will vary so you have to be patient. If you are interested in becoming a usability tester you can sign up at one or all of the sites below:
Userlytics – They do not require an application process so anyone can sign up. Instead of speaking into a microphone you will be required to use a webcam, so this opportunity is for people that are comfortable being seen and not just heard.
UserTesting – This site does not require a webcam, but you do need a good microphone or you can record your voice over the telephone. You can use their browser-based screen recorder to record your screen and verbal comments as you browse a sample website.
TryMyUI – This site requires you to take a sample test that you must pass to be one of their usability testers. Their test requires you to create a sample usability video and provide a sample Written usability summary answering some questions about your experience.